Please Note: Consulting will be on a restricted schedule the week of Spring Break - March 10th.
All UT Austin students, faculty, and staff are eligible for up to one hour of free consulting each week. Our statistical consultants are available for appoinments by phone/Skype or in-person, and they can also answer questions over email.
Click HERE to schedule an in-person or phone appointment
Or email your questions to: email@example.com
(We suggest in-person meetings for your first consultation or for complicated questions)
Please be aware, there are a limited number of consulting slots available and they fill up quickly. You can reserve a spot up to one week in advance. If you try to schedule an appointment and there are none available, it is because all spots for next 7 days have been reserved.
Click HERE for consultant bios. Consulting hours are subject to change.
We are happy to introduce Prasad Buddhavarapu - our new Graduate Student Consultant. Prasad comes to us as a graduate from our own Statistical Consulting Seminar, and we are happy to have him. Please read his bio to see if he may be a good match for your analytical questions.
For questions related to SEM, please do not schedule an appointment during Hale's hours.
Below are the consulting hours for Spring 2014.
|10:00AM - 12:00PM||Stats - Amen||Stats - Hale||Stats - Hale||Stats - Mahometa||Stats - Amen|
|12:30PM - 2:30PM||Stats - Mahometa||Grad Stats - Buddhavarapu||Stats - Amen||Stats - Hale|
|3:00PM - 5:00PM||Grad Stats - Buddhavarapu||Stats - Mahometa||Grad Stats - Buddhavarapu|
Click HERE to Schedule an Appointment.
Location: 7.506 GDC (North Building of the Gates Dell Complex). Take the double elevators left of the main entrance to the 7th floor.
NOTE: All in-person consulting is BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
If you need to cancel an appointment, please contact us immediately so that others may take advantage of the unused time slot. You may cancel appointments by either contacting our office at 232-0693 or sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your name and the time slot you are canceling.
E-mail the statistics consultants at email@example.com
Most e-mails will be answered within one working day (messages received on Friday will not be answered until Monday). If you have multiple questions or complex questions, please schedule an in-person appointment rather than sending e-mail. If you do send multiple e-mails within a week, it may be several days before we can respond.
We provide the following guidelines and information to facilitate the use of our services as well as to detail what researchers can expect, and what is expected of them, when using our free statistical consulting services.
What We Do
SDS consultants can help you design your study, select an appropriate statistical procedure, identify the various parts of your output, or interpret results. We can also recommend site-licensed statistical software for your own personal computer, help you select the best package for your task, locate documentation, and interpret error messages. Due to the demand for free consulting services, we can provide a maximum of 1 hour a week of free consulting – either by e-mail or appointment.
How to Prepare
For initial consultations, be prepared to describe in detail your research questions and objectives and the characteristics of your expected data set (if applicable). If you are in the process of analyzing your data, you are encouraged to bring an electronic copy of your data or have it available from Webspace so that we may demonstrate procedures in a familiar data setting.
Whom We Can Help
Consulting services are limited to current students, faculty, and staff of the University of Texas at Austin. Eligible student research includes undergraduate honors theses, master theses or reports, dissertations, and articles for publication. We can also help instructors by providing brief classroom presentations to introduce statistical software..
Help We Can Provide
We assist UT students, staff, and faculty with research oriented inquiries. Our role is to assist, rather than to conduct analyses for you. We prefer to meet with researchers near the beginning of their projects but are available for discussion at all stages of research, including the following:
• Research design
• Survey design
• Power and sample-size calculations
• Data management (data manipulation, formatting, coding)
• Selection of appropriate statistical procedures
• Selection and use of statistical software
• Data analysis and model selection
• Interpretation and reporting results
• Locating documentation and resources
• Creating graphs and tables
• Interpretation of error messages
Types of Help We Cannot Provide
• Homework assignments or course projects
• Tutoring services for a course
• General inquiries about a statistical topic (tutoring)
• Requiring language translation
• To individuals outside of UT-Austin
• Projects involving non-disclosure agreements, involving classified information, related to or likely to be involved in litigation, related to current partisan political campaigns (surveys and polling for a particular candidate, etc.) or commercial projects
• Software installation and licensing (If you need assistance with software installation please see our FAQs or contact the ITS helpdesk at 475-9400 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Requiring more than one hour of consulting per week (Consider obtaining a contract, which will allow us to provide you with more intensive assistance.)